Tuesday, April 22, 2008

annoying, pondering & responding

i don't know about the rest of you, but i have to be honest....all this going green stuff lately has been getting on my nerves. it just seems like the hype has been so much greater this year. every time i turn the TV on, there is something on about GREEN. i remember celebrating Earth Day in college back in the day and all it meant to me was hanging out with friends and hearing cool bands play in Clara Bowl all day long. times have changed.

but i suppose all the hype has actually made me start to ponder what "going green" really means and how i can be a part of it. growing up, my father actually did many things to help save the earth (although his reasoning was all about pinching pennies--he is super frugal-- and not really about going green). those habits have stuck with me somewhat. his constant reminders to turn the lights off as we left a room, the 3 separate garbage cans we had (separating food waste, paper waste and aluminum-non burnable waste), only making trips into town if we had several errands to run, a compost in our backyard, shower heads that decrease the water flow (very annoying!), only running the dishwasher when it was full, etc. were all things that he made us do to help save money. many of these things would just bother me....like having 3 trash cans in the kitchen! but now that i look back on it, i'm thankful for how it trained me to think.

i now like the fact that not only do these things help us save money, they are helping to preserve our world just a little bit more.

as my perspective is changing, i also wonder what God thinks of what we have done to his creation. we can only acknowledge the beauty of this earth as something his hands created....not anything we have done to save it. i am now thinking that the reason to reduce my "carbon footprint" is to honor and glorify the Creator of this beautiful world. he put us here and we have a responsibility to take care of the land....and doing so, i feel, is glorifying to him.

so if this means that my new commitment to recycle my bottles and cans (yes, terrible, i know, that we have yet to start recycling!) is how i can take a small step to be more green AND glorify God -- then i'm going to do it. i want to praise him for the majestic beauty in this world and i want my children to as well!

so today i celebrate Earth Day....are you?

God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. Gen 1:31

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have mixed feelings on the whole thing. I agree with your pondering on how might God feel about how we've treated his earth, but I also feel it's all a political hype and the new cool "trendy " thing to do, so companies are going for it to only make more $$.

katie said...

i feel like when i don't act more "green" it's usually for selfish or lazy reasons. i have really been trying to reduce waste in my life... and i have often thought of your dad and how his habits are now ones that are similar to what i'm trying to do...funny.

i'm impressed by your thoughtful post, kase...i've been thinking of posting on being green myself!
love you!

Keri said...

I have always been fairly environmentally conscious, have recycled for years, but am also lazy about some of it. I did, however, buy one of Target's cute little red earth-friendly bags and have re-used it several times already. I need to be more conscious of how to be a good steward of God's earth, though.

Vana said...

This is such a great way to look at things. I have just started my stationery business, and I am definitely trying to use more eco friendly/green materials.
I think this is the way God intended it, we don't need to be any more materialistic than we already are. I think we will be seeing a lot of people going this direction now.....
I love your thoughts....

www.lepapierstudio.com

Vana said...

Keri,
Thanks for visiting my shop and blog. I wish you the best of luck on this new venture. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask me. I just started selling about 1 month ago and love it. One thing about most of the silhouettes I use, i custom make most of mine, meaning i use pictures clients email me and create a one of a kind silhouette. Some of course are royalty free clip art, but i think customizing your silhouette is very special and makes your buyer also feel special.

Vana

Julee said...

I am an OCD recycler, I try to put everything into the recycle bin! (and I am sure a LOT of it gets thrown into the garbage after the fact, anyway!) Just think for a minute about ALL the garbage in WORLD and where it all has to go...it is staggering. I try not to ponder on it, do my part and hope the Lord comes back soon so it will be a non-issue!

 
Clicky Web Analytics