Wednesday, May 09, 2007

yesterday and today

what a difference a day makes. here's my little peanut showing off her amazing talent of writing block letters yesterday. she did this for the first time several months ago and i was quite impressed! my friend sara was actually concerned that her 4 yr old boy was not up to par after she saw ella's writing! but i think its probably unusual for little ones to be able to do this at this age....or maybe i'm just fooling myself in thinking i have a super talented little one! at any rate, mama was proud and wanted to show the world. i remember when i was younger doing the same thing...so i guess it's in the genes!



and then comes today. it actually started last night. we were at community group and the kids were playing outside. ella suddenly started screaming and crying and complaining about something being in her eye. we flushed out her eye and let her hold a wet washcloth on it. she cried off and on the rest of the night. she was miserable. she tends to be overly dramatic over her injuries....so i gradually lost compassion as the night progressed. about 5 times during the night she cried out in pain. this morning when she got up, her eye was all red and swollen. i knew then that all of it wasn't an act. we took her to our pediatrician and he immediately said we needed to take her to a pediatric opthomologist. thankfully, rusty cleared his schedule to go with me (and thanks to sam for watching evan!). he held her the whole time while the doctor scanned her eye and then had to fold the eyelid back to find a big brown speck that had been in there all night! poor thing...when i took a look at that piece of dirt or whatever it was, i felt so sorry for her and it certainly explained all the crying! ella did a GREAT job and we were so proud of her going through all of that. she now has a cool eye patch that she will wear til the morning. she also had an abrasion on her eye which we will have to treat with ointment. she has been such a trooper today....she was rewarded with a milkshake after her dr. visit and a mexican dinner tonight! we are just so happy that she is ok!

9 comments:

Keri said...

Poor thing. That sounds so awful! She must be one brave little girl. :)

Anonymous said...

She is so stinkin cute with that little patch!

Jean Joiner said...

ouch...that made my eyes water. i once slept all night with a broken arm and no one in my family believed me. :)

Robyn said...

Poor thing, but she does look pretty cute with the eye patch. Maybe Abby can give her a call later.

Anonymous said...

Glad she is smiling again!! And we loved having the bud over!

Melissa said...

Eye stuff is so scary! And I thought you did a great job as nurse that night. Glad you got her treated and that she's on the mend. Love the pirate look!

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain Ella! Jackson scratched my eye and I thought I was going to die or be blind at the least! the immediate care physician prescribed codine (sp)for the pain. I still have the scar on my eye for proof :)

Lisa said...

Poor Ella! Abigail tends to be pretty dramatic over injuries too and I often am not sure if something really is hurting as badly as she is expressing!
I'm impressed with her block letters too!

Dani said...

I feel SOOOO bad!!! I knew that she had gotten something in her eye, and didn't want to freak you out so I didn't say anything but...that happened to me at that age and we ended up going to the emergency room to have them scrape my eye, and I did the patch for a couple of days...Oh next time I will share "just in case". I hope she is all better.

 
Clicky Web Analytics