TO SELF: don't ever, EVER think that you are trying to be nice by warning your 4 year old daughter at her yearly check-up at the doctor that she will only be getting ONE shot. especially when she still has to have her hearing and sight screening tests done. just always remember to wait til the absolute LAST SECOND before the shot is about to take place. just keep in mind all the sobbing and drama that will take place over the FEAR of this shot. just remember how much you wanted to kick yourself for saying anything (and the nurses probably wanted to kick you too!).
-- poor little ella. she did survive though. was finally happy after getting that red sucker she really wanted.
-- poor mommy...sometimes she just doesn't think before speaking! we were finished with the dr. and i thought the nurse was about to come in to give her the shot. but NO...i forgot about the screening tests and that it would be another 10 or so minutes before the dreaded shot. poor ella was sweating from all the crying. glad all that is over. until another 6 months.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Poor Ella and mommy! At least its over for a while-hope your mom had the little Buddy for you!
Poor Ella. I know it is a no win situation, it's so hard figuring out if and when to tell about the shots. 6 months? She has to have more shots in 6 months?
Tell her Abby sends her well wishes.
I so dread shots with a new baby!
Yes, I dread those days too. #1 now associates birthdays with shots since that is about the only time he has to go to the doc now. Guess I messed up on that one!
recently #2 had to get a shot. She asked me before we left to go to the Dr. if that was on the agenda. I played dumb and said I am not sure. She asked me to tell the Dr. for her that SHE DID NOT WANT A SHOT. I did as she wished. I told the Dr. just that, but of course it still happened. Boy was she mad. There is just no easy away around it!
It's too bad they couldn't just give her the shot right after you mentioned it instead of letting her dread it for what must have seemed like forever to her. Poor little thing. When my kids got shots, I cried too. We ALL got lollipops.
Oh Keri...you poor poor crazy fool. I remember my mom telling me that we only needed ONE shot, then I got asphalt burn as she pulled me out from under the car. Perhaps some good solid bribery will be necessary for the next go 'round with the needle weilding nurse...a new barbie anyone?
I have found with my kids that it was actually better if I told them a head of time that they were going to get a shot. We talked a lot about why, where it would be, how many and then we really talked about how great the sucker would be afterwards. I guess it depends on the kids..
Post a Comment