Wednesday, August 16, 2006

in need of a king.


king-sized bed, that is. for a while now (especially since we've had children), we've been really wanting to upgrade to a bigger bed. and last night gave us a definite reason for not only wanting it, but needing it. ella woke up around 3 am from a nightmare or something. we tried to get her to go back to sleep in her room. but soon after, she came walking in our room and wanted to crawl in bed with us. so she slides herself in between us all....me, rusty, and my 2 body pillows! ok, i'm sure you are laughing...especially certain people! but when i was pregnant with ella, rusty bought each of us a body pillow...one for my pregnant self and he wanted one too. however, they both became mine very early on! one to put under my belly and between my legs and the other one to prop behind my back. well being the person who becomes addicted easily (blogging for example! or my tivo, my need for sound when i sleep, etc), i have not been able to detach myself from these pillows. when we go on trips, i have to take at least one with me. maybe i should try weaning myself?!

so needless to say, it gets a little tight in our queen size bed. last night ella was snuggled as close as possible to me (which i don't mind, for maybe the first 5 minutes!). i was literally at the EDGE of the bed. one more centimeter of movement and i would've rolled on over onto the floor. over the course of the next couple hours, she was flinging arms over my head and her leg was wrapped over my whole body.

and i'm not quite the snuggler when it comes time to sleep. one reason for that is because i get so stinkin hot! rusty calls me his little heater. so by 5 am, i had had enough. i whispered over to rusty, "someone's gotta go sleep upstairs...either you or me. who's it gonna be?" i think he was still asleep because i didn't really get a coherent response. so i grabbed my body pillow and hiked upstairs to our bonus room where we have an extra bed.

it would've been so nice to have a king last nite...where we all would have room to spread out and be able to get good sleep! and there are also those fun saturday mornings when the kids jump in bed with us and we all play and snuggle for a while....but usually there are body parts that are getting punctured or many close calls with evan falling off the bed. some day....some day, we will be able to save the money and upgrade. but probably not until the kids are grown and out of the house!

until then, i will just have to be grateful for what i have and maybe....just maybe get rid of those body pillows that take up way too much room. oh the thought of it makes me so sad. i'm so attached.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

size doesn't matter. we have always had two twin mattresses together and we still have an over crowding problem. never give away the pillows.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a night at my house! I make my poor kids sleep on the floor. They're so used to it now, they just lay down on the little pillow( I leave for that very reason)and I find them there in the morning!

Anonymous said...

There was a point with Matt that before I went to bed, I would make a spot in the floor for when (not if) he came in. Now he just drags his blanket in with him and most times curls up with pillow an blanket and doesn't even wake us (though I always know he's there). The crazy thing is, we had a king size bed and went down to a queen because our king was a waterbed and I was tired of the upkeep (and it scared me with a baby, then there were the cats... and dogs.. enough said). So - we took a hand me down from my Dh's parents. I MISS MY KING!!!!! :)

Melissa said...

First of all, love your new look. Very soothing, and the kids' picture is too cute.

Second, we had a king at the beach & I got spoiled. Still, I like snuggling in our queen (my husband's the hot one, though...in more ways than one ;-). Hey, he's my HUSBAND...so it's okay that I said that!

Barb said...

No ma'am. Do NOT give up your pillows. Get a king. Rob and I went from a double bed straight to a king and it was bliss. It seemed so big we felt like we needed to send each other telegrams to talk in bed. Absolutely heavenly, all that room.

Christy said...

I know what you mean! We have our king and just having my own room in the bed is great... since being pg I too have a ton of pillows.. it must be a pg thing!

Wendy said...

We are ready for a king too. We have a queen and it gets quite crowded in the mornings when all the kids come in.

katie said...

i whined to brian about getting king for years... finally this year, we took the plunge. there is probably not a week that goes by that we don't give thanks. it's great to snuggle together and read on... and the boys LOVE to wrestle on it with b! ahhh, heaven. but now, when we travel and don't get a king, i'm sad for home!

Anonymous said...

I too long for a King-and I have a body pillow so I know what you mean. There is a lovely young lady at our church that gave up her body pillow as an act of submissivness to her husband and now just sleeps with a pillow between her knees, ankles, under her head and behind her back-so I might just keep the body pillow! We bought a new mattress about 8 months ago and I really wanted the king, but Andy pointed out that we would not be able to open our dresser drawers, and I have a bit of a snotty attitude when it comes to sheets (all of mine are 800 thread count and higher) so I can't afford to get all new sheets for it!

Renee said...

We started off with a king when we got married, and now it is terribly hard to sleep in a smaller size bed when we travel - just because of what we are used to. But it is nice to be able to pile the kids on and hang out a little.

Tammy said...

This has happened to me too many times to count!
We have a queen, on a few occasions, BOTH girls crawled into bed with us.
A couple nights I remember...second girl comes in, I'm clutching the side of the bed, then I take my pillow and go to one of the girl's bed...an hour later, first girl comes looking for me and climbs into her bed with me (twin bed). Later, hubby leaves for work at 5:30 am and I go back to my own bed.
Musical beds is not my favorite little game to play!
I could so relate to your post! I would love a king size bed, but since our girls keep growing, eventually it wouldn't be big enough either!

Melissa said...

Mitch would love to upgrade, but I'm the queen-sized hold-out!

 
Clicky Web Analytics