monday night ella got sick. the fever came and didn't leave for over 24 hours. so tuesday was a long day of taking care of her while she laid on the couch watching endless hours of noggin in between napping. she threw up twice...which tends to happen with her every time she has a high fever. so the day was not so pleasant. yesterday was another day at home. she was still QUITE groggy and tired as she was regaining energy that was zapped from her the day before. i've discovered the cues to know when she is sick. she is horribly whiny! i was finding myself becoming the same way as i was dealing with it.
needless to say, after two days feeling trapped at home, i was ready to get out of the house. i don't quite understand my need to escape from a nice, safe place. i think i just get bored.
this morning was ella's open house at her preschool. i was quite pleased that the grogginess had passed and she was actually not scared to go meet her new teacher. we had a nice time seeing her new classroom. they had a petting zoo outside and the kids really enjoyed it.
so i thought i would extend our little outing and so we headed to the mall. all was going well. we went to a couple stores and rode the merry-go-round. then we got chick-fil-a for lunch. after i got buddy in the high chair and unloaded all the bags and started cutting up chicken nuggets, ella says "mommy, i have to go potty."
my response was nothing but mean. i asked her if she could hold it. i gave her the big sigh (ugh) response. i pretty much scolded her for not telling me before we sat down and spread out all the food, etc. i then made sure she knew that it was going to be a pain to pack up all the food, put buddy back in the stroller and walk all the way to the bathroom.
the sweet lady sitting behind me (not sure if she heard my conversation with ella or not) offered to watch our food for us. oh, thank you!
so hindsite...i'm embarrassed. i behaved ridiculously and am so sorry that i placed that guilt on ella. i viewed her natural need to go pee as an inconvience to me. i later told her that i was proud of her for telling me she needed to go to the bathroom. and also thought of the worse scenario of her having an accident in the middle of the food court.
funny how irritated i get over her whininess....when i do the exact same thing. sometimes i wish i could rewind life and try again with a different response. but this is how we learn. this is how we learn to say i'm sorry and seek forgiveness. i can only hope and pray that my sweet child will not be scarred by these crazy outbursts from her irritated mother!
so, that was my lesson for today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
I've been in the same boat lately -in the moment, how I react seems okay, but afterwards - wow, the guilt. I find myself asking how I would react if someone else spoke to my child the same way that I just did and I know I wouldn't allow it. I remember Alan saying that if we talked to our friends the way we talk to our children, we wouldn't have any friends and I hate seeing how true that is for me!
Hmmmm. My day has been quite the same except we have not left the house but only to pick #2 up from school. Maybe we NEED to leave the house. Whiny boys completely drain me - hopefully we'll see some happy faces after naps.
Glad Ella is feeling better though.
keri -
rest assured, she will survive and so will you!!!! i am often ashamed of myself for the way i react "in the moment" --- not taking the same advice i give my own daughter (to take a breath or give her self time, before reacting). isn't it great though that we can say i'm sorry and they still love us? i think that is why to be like a child is to be most like Jesus. they are so forgiving and love us unconditionally!!!
thanks for sharing - it does indeed feel so nice to know that i am not alone in my parenting imperfections!
LOL I am beginning to thing the 6 degrees of seperation is a real thing for sure. I, too, went to the mall today (sans children) to shop for DS#2's upcoming birthday. Chick-a-flicka was so busy (apparently it was the only thing anyone wanted when I was there) that I just grabbed a salad from Sbarro and sat by the Merry-go-round!
I am glad the little one is feeling better and got to go to her open house! (((hugs Mom -- you are doing a good job!)))
As mothers we have ALL been there, probably even the lady sitting behind you. Isn't it funny how God uses e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g to sanctify us, fussy, whiny children, neighbors in the mall and at home our friends...If it helps I have my own confession...Tyler was driving me mad in the car today and I told him to shut up! I couldn't believe myself...I apologized to him and took lots of deep breaths, and loved on him, but I still totally lost control with him today and really felt bad.
Yes, we have all been there. But at least we recognize it and try to correct it. It is the people that don't and the children suffer from so much negativity in their life.
thanks for your sweet comments on my post from today - funny how just a simple change of routine can make us realize that we have been way too "self absorbed" and it draws us right back to the Father's side!!! :)
Oh, Keri, I am right there with you sister. I was a real bear with my kiddos today. I had unrealistic expectations of people their age. ...tried to love on them lots and lots tonight to make up for it.
Tomorrow is a new day!
Why do I have to learn this lesson over & over? I bet our Heavenly Father gets so tired of my whining. Thanks for a good honest post. I can totally relate.
I can so totally relate. Life is so not about me, but I like to whine as if it is.
We all have moments like those. I like what Barefoot said, so true about sanctifying us.
Ha! And we got to talk to you right after that happened! Thanks for sharing the everydays of motherhood so I know that I'm not alone in my struggles :) --Deborah
Hi Keri,
My name is Liz...I was just totally agreeing with your post and wanted to comment :)
My quick response is awful sometimes.....mostly when I am busy or well just plain tired of the whining voice! BUT, I am to be the adult and the example...God is still working on us all...I praise HIM for not being done by any means... :)
In Christ,
Liz
Post a Comment